The 12 Day Grapefruit Diet Plan (also known as the Grapefruit and Egg Diet) has been around for decades. I would have to say that it is probably the very first diet I ever went on.
I always knew when my Mom had some event to attend because she would come home from the grocery store loaded up with her eggs and grapefruits! I think she probably got it from Good Housekeeping magazine or Readers Digest, which back then was the news source for all housewives of the day!
Back then it seemed like there was something magical about the combination of eggs, grapefruit and black coffee. But it seems that really it was a combination of being low in calories along with the grapefruit, which current studies are showing to be quite useful in promoting weight loss!
One word of caution: If you are taking any medications at all, ask your pharmacist if it is one of those medications that can interact with grapefruit.
- Breakfast is the same every day: 2 eggs with 2 slices bacon, 1/2 grapefruit, 1 c black coffee or tea
- Lunch: This would normally be a salad, beef,chicken or fish, 1/2 grapefruit, black coffee or tea
- Dinner: Same as lunch: salad, beef,chicken or fish, 1/2 grapefruit, black coffee or tea
You stay on it for 12 days, take a 2 day break and the do it all over again.
Pros and Cons of Egg and Grapefruit Egg Diet
The Good Things
- Rapid weight loss
- Gluten Free and Low Carb
- Very easy to follow as you don’t count calories, carbs or points
And The Bad
- Very low calorie diets make some people tired and lethargic
- Boring and restrictive!
- Grapefruit can react with many medications – be sure to check!
Unlike many diets, you don’t need much in the way of special ingredients or kitchen equipment to do this.
Grapefruit spoons are nice to have and so is an egg cooker. I really love my Dash Go! It cooks my eggs exactly how I like them which is in the picture above. Firm whites but semi soft in the middle. Yummy!
I would microwave a few days worth of bacon for the breakfast (lay bacon on a some paper towels and cover with more layers of paper towels and nuke for about 5 minutes).
And that’s really it!