Chunky Apple Oatmeal Muffins – Ideal Protein Phase 1 Compliant
I’ve been experimenting a lot with making recipes out of the Ideal Protein packets and so far these Chunky Apple Oatmeal Muffins are my favorite! They are super moist and apple-y delicious! They are made with the Apple Oatmeal packets. If you are following an Ideal Protein alternative plan, then just use the Proti Diet apple cinnamon oatmeal packets available. They will work great with this recipe!
What makes these muffins so awesome is a secret ingredient that tastes like baked apples! And that secret ingredient is chayote squash! Also called chayote fruit in some places. Do you see where this is going? Cut into chunks and baked with cinnamon, those chayote pieces taste just like baked apple! The bonus is this: if you are following the Ideal Protein Diet plan, you count them as a vegetable. Oh bliss!
They are larger than an apple, kind of oblong with a ‘bum’ at the end. The ones available in the stores around here have a smooth surface and a light green color. The skin is very thin and can be peeled with a vegetable peeler.
They are very crisp, and take on the flavor of what you are making. If you are missing fruit, then these might be a great find for you!
Ingredients for Chunky Apple Oatmeal Muffins (makes 2 servings)
- 2 Ideal Protein Apple Oatmeal Packets (or use Proti Diet Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 packet Stevia or whatever sweetener you are using
- 1/3 cup egg whites (or 2 egg whites)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1 cup chayote squash chunks (about the size of raisins)
- In a small bowl, microwave chayote with 1 tbsp water for about 2 minutes
- In another small bowl stir together all the dry ingredients.
- Add liquid ingredients
- Fold in the cooked chayote squash.
- Divide the mixture into either a 6 cup silicon muffin pan or whoopie pan. I used a whoopie pan in this picture because I they make muffin tops, which I like!
- Sprinkle the tops with a little extra cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes if using the whoopie pan, or 12 minutes if using a muffin pan.
Three of these muffins count as 1 unrestricted Ideal Protein Packet for Phase 1. In addition, count 1 teaspoon oil and 1/2 cup Select vegetables.
I really hope you love these!