Gluten Free Low Carb Bread made with Coconut Flour and Flax
Low carb diets are what works best for me, but like many people, sometimes I just really miss that bread!
I’m not a big bread person myself, but there are times when I really want it. Poached eggs right? You need something to soak up the yolk. BLT’s? Grilled cheese sandwich?
So when I came across this gluten free low carb bread recipe on Pinterest I decided I was going to give it a try. The secret is using coconut flour!
And besides, I was following very low carb The 100 Diet, and coconut flour is a freebie flour, so a great way to add some variety!
This recipe comes from a site called Joyful Abode. Thanks to them for coming up with this!
Anyways, here is the recipe so you can make your own low carb bread:
Gluten Free Low Carb Bread with Coconut and Flax
- 1 c coconut flour, sifted (I prefer this Organic Coconut Flour)
- 1 c flax seeds, ground and sifted (I grind my own in a coffee grinder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 c plain full fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Whisk the eggs, coconut oil, yogurt and vinegar in a large bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. (Mine was very stiff)
- Put batter into a loaf pan. I only use these silicone loaf pans now, the bread just pops right out!
- Bake for 50-60 minutes (Mine in the photo was baked for 60 minutes)
- Let it cool in the pan for a few minutes, then turn it out onto a board or wire rack to finish cooling. Let it cool completely for cutting.
And of course this is what I had for breakfast the next morning! Poached eggs on low carb bread, toasted. Oh yeah, baby!
TIP: Toast the bread twice to get it crisp enough!
Coconut flour used to be hard to find and very pricey but check out the variety of brands and price points on Amazon.
I hope you enjoy this low carb coconut flour bread! Let me know in the comments below!
Other ingredients you need for the gluten free low carb bread and staples for your pantry you can check out!