This diet was hugely popular in the seventies and eighties and was probably the original low carb diet. It got lost a bit in the shuffle when the Atkins Diet came out, but then hit a new high when the creator of the Scarsdale Diet (Dr. Herman Tarnower) was scandalously murdered by a jilted lover.
But, we’re not here for the drama, so here is the 14 Day Scarsdale Diet details.
The Scarsdale Diet plan menu is to be followed for 2 weeks only, then you take a break for 2 weeks (while eating healthy!), then go again for 2 more weeks. You repeat this pattern until you reach your goal weight.
Here is the basic 14 day Scarsdale diet food plan:
- Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, 1 slice high protein bread, toasted, coffee or tea (no sugar)
- Lunch: tomatoes and/or other allowed veggies, tuna, lean meat, eggs or cottage cheese
- Dinner: fish or shellfish or other lean protein, salad, 1 slice high protein bread, 1/2 grapefruit
Drink plenty of water! If you follow this for 2 weeks, you can lose up to 20 lbs!
This is really just an overview and it probably seems very restrictive but in actual fact there is plenty of variety. I actually own the Scarsdale Diet Plan book and I also highly recommend the ebook if you wish to follow the updated Scarsdale Diet.
High Protein Bread: This bread is not that easy to find! I did find some websites and blogs where they said to just substitute whole grain bread but I don’t think that is what the late doctor had in mind.
Pros and Cons of the 14 Day Scarsdale Diet
The Good Things
- Rapid weight loss keeps you motivated
- Lots of healthy foods to choose from
- No weighing and measuring of food
- There are online support sites with help and recipes
And The Bad
- Very low carb diets can dampen energy levels
- Can get boring to follow
- No clear plan for after the 14 day Scarsdale diet
Going Forward with the Update Scarsdale Diet
This is a great diet to kick off a weight loss program and the fact that is is only 2 weeks makes it doable. For the 2 weeks off, follow something sensible and satisfying so that you are then ready to give it another 2 weeks!
If you want to try this diet, I recommend the ebook. It’s full of insider information and tips and recipes that are part of the original book. Plus you can download it right now and start your diet tomorrow. Download it right here!