Zucchini Cheese Casserole Recipe
It’s that time of year! Zucchini is reproducing rapidly in my garden! This Zucchini Cheese Casserole recipe is an old family favorite and it also happens to be low carb and gluten free. In the old days we added bread crumbs to the top, but it is just as good without.
This recipe is so good that even my vegetable hating teenagers love it and come back for seconds. They ask me to make it. You can’t beat that, especially when it’s a zucchini recipe! My whole family agrees that this is simply the best zucchini casserole recipe ever!
Tools you will need to make this simple zucchini casserole recipe:
- Box Grater or
- food processor with grater attachment
- 8 x 8 inch pan (I am loving my Silicone pans!)
- non stick pan (throw out the teflon pan and get a Ceramic non stick pan, teflon is bad)
Zucchini Cheese Casserole Recipe Instructions
- Large zucchini (1.5 – 2lbs)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ c onion
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 c mozzarella, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c sour cream
- 1 c chopped basil or parsley (or combo of both!)
- ½ c parmesan cheese
- Grate zucchini with a cheese grater or the grater attachment of a food processor. (While I am grating this, I put what I have grated so far in a strainer over a bowl so that some of the liquid drains out. Then I try to squeeze as much liquid out through the strainer as I can)
- Beat eggs, mozzarella and sour cream in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large non stick pan, heat olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic. When they are browned, add the grated zucchini and sauté for a few minutes.
- Place the zucchini/onion mixture into an 8 x 8 pan. Take the cheese/egg mixture and dump it into the pan and stir it into the zucchini mixture until well combined.
- Layer the top with the parsley and basil. Sometimes I leave that as a layer and sometimes I mix it in.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Serve with a green salad for an amazing and delicious low carb and gluten free meal!
This easy zucchini casserole makes 6 servings: Calories 163, Carbs 6g, Fat 12g, Protein 11g,Fibre 1g
Are you interested in finding more low carb recipes like the zucchini cheese casserole?
The Complete Low-Carb Cookbook (Best of the Best Presents)The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook: 200 Simple and Delicious Low-Carb Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less (Touchstone Book)Low Carb Cookbook: Everyday Low Carb Recipes to Lose Weight & Feel Great