Best Eggplant Lasagna Recipe – Low Carb and Gluten Free!
An eggplant lasagana recipe without noodles ? Of course! The eggplant slices in my family’s Best Eggplant Lasagna Recipe are much better than noodles. That makes this healthy eggplant lasagna recipe also Gluten Free.
I have been making this healthy Eggplant Lasagna recipe for many years, even for company. Without noodles, I knew it would be low in carbs, but now that I am doing a low carb food plan as a committed lifestyle, I thought I would enter my recipe into MyFitnessPal to see what the actual results are. They are at the bottom of the recipe below.
Also people are always asking me for this recipe, so now I have it written down. One of my teenagers is a vegetarian and even they love this Eggplant Lasagna recipe. That makes it a winner in my books! This version has no meat, and so this is also a great meal for Meatless Mondays.
Cooking Tip: For the large purple eggplants, I usually slice them thin, sprinkle with salt and then soak them in a bowl of ice cold water while I assemble all the other ingredients. My mother always did this and she said it drew out any bitter flavor in the eggplant. I wonder if she used a different type of eggplant because honestly, I have done it without and I can’t taste the difference in the recipe. But I am letting you know about this in case the eggplants in your area have a bitter taste.
Ingredients for my Best Eggplant Lasagna Recipe (Six large servings)
- 1 large eggplant, sliced very thin
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheese, grated
- 1 ½ cup Low Carb pasta sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
How to Layer the Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
- Slice the eggplant as thin as you can in rounds. If you own one of these these fancy dancy mandoline slicers, then this would be an excellent way to get nice uniform slices.
- If you want, follow my tip above the recipe about salting the eggplant.
- In a bowl, beat the 2 eggs. Add the sour cream and the 1 cup of sharp grated cheese. Whisk until it looks like a creamy sauce. This is the filling.
- In a large glass or silicon casserole dish, cover the bottom of the dish by spreading ½ cup of the tomato sauce. Put ½ of the eggplant slices on top of the sauce, overlapping the slices to make the first layer.
- Spread the sour cream mixture over this first layer of eggplant slices. If I wasn’t making a vegetarian version for my son, this is where I would add a layer of hamburger crumbles.
- Overlap the rest of the eggplant slices on top of the filling. Spread the remaining 1 cup tomato sauce on top of this.
- Finally, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes at about 350F or until cheese is brown and bubbling.
And best of all for my healthy eggplant lasagna recipe there are only 300 calories and 7 net carbs. Hope you enjoy it!